Final Performance Reflection

I believe that the structured improvisational of my performance aided in giving a more authentic feel to the ‘pre-show’ part of the performance. There was a slightly delayed response when I went to the ‘interval’ section of the performance with the selling of the ‘Meta! Mugs’ and ice-cream. However once the first person had come up, who did know what was going on, more people followed to buy both Ice-cream and the mugs. The ‘post-show discussion’ worked well, even though I was asked some unplanned questions by members of the audience. However I responded to them with answers that were fairly arty and pretentious which is what I intended to, and did do, with the planned questions. The pre-prepared questions were also improvised, but because I knew what they were going to be I already had a rough idea of how to answer them. The pre-prepared questions were a combination of banal questions such as “How did you learn all your lines?” and questions seeking approval, in this case it was concerning the skull and suitcase on stage and what they ‘represented’.  This was to satirise the typical questions that occur during post-show discussions, and how often they can be meaningless to the piece itself. I did receive and have to answer a couple of unscripted questions from actual audience members, however they were easy enough to answer in a similar way as the pre-prepared questions and I feel that I responded with suitable ‘artsy’ and pretentious answers. If I were to perform Meta! again or to do a similar performance I would certainly like to extend the length of the performance. This is because the short length of the performance felt as though a lot was being squeezed into a short space of time. A longer running time would allow the pace of the performance to be a little bit slower, as I felt at some points I was rushing, and for the potential introduction of new material. However I would want to ensure that the material still flowed and felt natural in an extended performance, as otherwise the fabricated authenticity could be lost. If I put more time into the planning of the set I could have worked more in it during the rehearsal process to create the illusion it was going to actually be used within the show. Also with more planning I could have looked further into merchandise for the show so that there was a wider range to take that particular piece of satire further. Beyond what I could do myself, ti would be interesting to perform Meta! or something similar in a larger theatre space. I had been able to perform in the main Lpac auditorium I would have been able to make the set and lighting more dramatic and been able to use the same space as the material I was satirising. Whilst this was not an option for me with the performance I feel that it would be where I’d want to take the show in future if I were to work on it. Overall I feel that Meta! was a success from the response I had from the audience. Some didn’t seem to catch what was going on initially, however soon most were laughing along to the continual delays to the ‘performance’ starting and I feel that the performance was well-received.