Lighting Workshop

In preparation for our performances and technical runs we were given the opportunity to attend a lighting workshop to give us more insight into what we could be doing for our performances. We were shown various different techniques and how they could be used in a performance to create both technical effects and to create meaning themselves on stage. It made me consider applications of lightning in performance and how much more of an impact the lighting can have when there is only a single person performing. I thought on some that I could use to be ‘arty’ within my performance, primarily for my pre-set whilst the audience entered, and I decided on a series of crossfading spotlights. These would be used on my set to create a dramatic and ‘arty’ feel for the beginning of the show, in order to wrong foot the audience’s initial response when entering the studio.

I decided after the workshop that I would probably have house lighting for the majority of the show. One reason for this is so that the ‘pre-show’ announcement section of the performance feels separate from the atmosphere as the audience entered. Furthermore it removes any theatricality from the performance and grants a sense of authenticity as well. Whilst it does feel a shame to have seen some incredibly impressive lighting effects in our workshop and to have gained insight into the lighting’s application and the meaning it can imply, the simplicity of the house lighting feels that it best suits the style of performance that I am going with.