Projections, Holograms and Telepresence

After a brief presentation giving an overview of the performer Laurie Anderson, further research into her work has provided some interesting ideas concerning the use of projection in performance. Whilst a lot of her work is highly focused around sound and music, she has made several interesting pieces using projectors to create, as Anderson has called them, ‘a fake hologram’ (Goldberg, Laurie Anderson 54). By projecting the image of a person onto a sculpted model it gives the impression of a person.

Image from Dal Vivo                          Sculpture

Pictured is Anderson’s piece Dal Vivo where a live stream of a prisoner named Santino was projected onto a life sized sculpture. Whilst he sat in his cell he was filmed and projected several miles to the Prada Foundation in Milan. What makes this piece more than a simple feat of sculpting and projection is the idea that this ‘person’ in the gallery shouldn’t be there, yet is. As a man deemed unfit to be a part of society he is kept imprisoned, but he is simultaneously free, to an extent, in the gallery space. Personally I find the blend of technology and theoretical concept exceptionally interesting and if possible it might be something I take inspiration from technically for my performance. I like the idea of projections being used as they are technically impressive and can create interesting connotations.

One possible idea to work with would be to project a speaking image of myself onto my static body. It could potentially present the difference between the exterior persona that we hold within society compared to our interior selves. However as yet I am not sure where to further take this idea. Currently I do not know what further topics or content to include in the performance or whether it would be fully possible to create a hologram with the technology available in the Lpac studios.

Goldberg, R.(2000) Laurie Anderson. London, Thames & Hudson

Chua, E.  (2006) Figure 2: Image from Dal Vivo [Picture] Available from: http://pmc.iath.virginia.edu/issue.106/16.2chua.html [Accessed 19 February 2016]

Chua, E.  (2006) Figure 3: Image from Dal Vivo [Picture] Available from: http://pmc.iath.virginia.edu/issue.106/16.2chua.html [Accessed 19 February 2016]